Deadline: May 3rd 2018 at 5:00 PM GMT +3
Position: Administrative Officer
Reports to: Country Director
ABOUT RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The Administrative Officer position coordinates and performs professional and special project functions to support the Uganda Country Director. Oversees and manages the flow and exchange of information, streamlines interactions with key constituents, and facilitates initiatives on behalf of the Country Director. Work requires a high level of discretion and often requires the use and handling of confidential or otherwise sensitive information in a professional manner. The position works with staff at all levels in RI as well as external contacts, including donors and other NGOs.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Support to the Country Director- Uganda.
• Coordinate CD’s relationships with key collaborators and donors. Prepare for and brief CD prior to events regarding important developments and follow-up on resulting action items. Track and help prioritize activities within Relief International that require CD’s attention.
• Providing necessary administrative support including maintaining effective filing, scanning, photocopying, archiving and record keeping systems, both paper and electronic of reports and other materials.
• Efficiently arrange for meetings/workshops, collate documentation and information to support these meetings, and where required preparing minutes and other relevant reports/documentation in a timely manner
• Manage the daily staff location updates and ensure this is communicated to the CD on a daily basis.
• Prepare a variety of correspondence, reports, forms, proposals, concept papers, etc. using prescribed formats and assuring that such documentation is correct in form and style.
• Handle a complex calendar and many scheduling demands on behalf of the CD including coordination of CD/RDs domestic and international travel arrangements.
• Prepare all expense reports for the Country Director /in adherence with internal policies and deadlines
Administration and team support
• Assist in the logistical arrangements of meetings/workshops and conferences by coordinating travel and accommodation arrangement including flight bookings and visas for teams and follow up paper work (e.g. Expenses) working closely with Programmes, Operations(security) ,HR , Finance and logistics.
• In collaboration with Logistics, manage Kampala office environment and equipment to ensure a safe and effective office.
• Support teams in sourcing for travel documents and work permits for the region and field offices working closely with HR and other departments.
• Prepare a variety of correspondence, reports, forms, proposals, concept papers, etc. using prescribed formats and assuring that such documentation is correct in form and style. Craft and deliver both written and verbal presentations as required within the job remit.
• Support other staff by providing advice and guidance in handling organizational and administrative tasks for which the office is responsible for; this includes office systems and procedures to expedite work flow.
• Providing technical support to all staff on trouble shooting IT issues as well as escalating technical issues to the IT teams in HQ.
• Organize hotel bookings, airport pickups, and field transportation for RI Uganda International visitors and CD.
• Manage day to day operations of Kampala office
• Support the CD and HR in recruitment and other HR functions from time to time.
• Support and host visitors from the region, HQ and elsewhere by arranging inductions and other programs for them ensuring high level of care.
• Provide support in periodic review of various policies, manuals and administrative guidelines working closely with programmes, HR, finance and Logistics
• Any other duties delegated by the Country Director.
Skills and competencies
· A Recognized Diploma in Business Administration or equivalent qualification
· Proven administrative experience in a similar role with at least 2 years’ experience in the role of Personal Assistant and/ or Administrative Assistant
· Good written/oral communication and listening skills, with excellent written and spoken English
· Must be able to communicate with tact, judgment, empathy and energy.
· A highly confidential approach to handling sensitive data and issues.
· High level of tact and diplomacy and the ability to use appropriate styles and methods of communication to ensure a professional yet personal customer service
· Excellent computer skills (MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-PowerPoint, Internet, E-mail) IT trouble-shooting experience an added advantage
· Ability to work well with others in a multicultural set-up (working effectively with others) and (following and supporting others)
· Ability to build effective working relationships with others at all levels of the organization
· Ability to organize multiple tasks, prioritizing and delegating appropriately and saying “no” or finding alternative solutions when appropriate
· Manages own time on the whole, and some conflicting priorities without upward referral
· Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility in all aspects of working
· Anticipates outcomes of activities and uses initiative to keep these activities on course
· Proven ability to remain calm, focused and organized and to deliver results on time when under pressure and with rapidly changing circumstances.
Qualified and interested candidates should send their application (application letter and CV ) to UgandaRecruitment@ri.org (you must indicate the position in the subject line of email)
This position is open to Uganda nationals only