Deadline: 22nd April 2018
FRIDA, the Young Feminist Fund, in partnership with the WMC FBomb invites applications from young and budding storyteller to apply to its pilot project “Young Feminist Media Fellowship”. This fellowship is meant for young storytellers who have a passion for and commitment to telling powerful and transformative stories about young feminist activism and the creative ways in which youth organizing is happening all over the world. The fellowship is an opportunity to gain insight into global feminist issues, receive guidance and feedback from experienced feminist journalists and an opportunity for the writers to have their stories published in a publication that has worldwide readership.
Founded in 2010, FRIDA | The Young Feminist Fund is the only youth-led fund focused exclusively on supporting young feminist activism to advance social justice movements and agendas across the globe. We believe in the collective power, expertise, and innovation of young feminist organizers to address root causes and structures of inequality in order to create lasting change in their communities. One of FRIDA’s chief goals is to amplify and strengthen young feminist organizing.
About the Partners
The Women’s Media Center is a progressive, nonpartisan nonprofit organization working to raise the visibility, viability and decision-making power of women and girls in media and, thereby, ensuring that their stories get told and their voices are heard. They work toward media equality using interconnected strategies of research, original stories and articles, promotion of women experts and media training. Their FBomb a partner blog for the WMC was created by and for intersectional teen feminists and provides socially conscious youth with the personal and professional tool of a media platform. Founded by Julie Zeilinger in 2009, the WMC FBomb enables a dialogue among young feminists. The “FBomb” stands for “feminist.” It is loud, proud, sarcastic and passionate—everything young feminists are today.
Is this the right opportunity for you?
FRIDA has a current grantee partner network of over 100 young feminist groups from all over the world who are organizing organizing every single day but do not get the recognition they deserve. The FBomb believes in amplifying the voices of feminist-minded young adults within a broader social justice dialogue by telling inspiring, intersectional stories and be the right platform and means for such stories to reach a wider audience.
Together, we think it’s time these stories are told in the local, national and international media. This is why, this year we are launching a pilot project ‘Young Feminist Media Fellowship’, as a way to counter dominant narratives that provide little to no space to achievements and accomplishments of young feminist organizers.
● You are a young feminist (between the age of 18 and 30) with proven interest or activism in gender based issues in their local, national or in international contexts.
● You are a budding writer, publisher, visual artist or videographer.
● You will have some proven experience and have some sample pieces of your previous work to demonstrate it.
● You may be based anywhere in Sub Saharan Africa, South Asia, Southeast and East Asia, the Pacific, The Middle East and North Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean and Central, Southern, Eastern Europe and Central and North Asia and willing to travel in the pursuit of the story. Previous experience in journalism, writing, blogging, sketching, designing is welcome, but not compulsory. Applicants from Western Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand are not eligible to apply for this fellowship.
● You are proficient in the English language as the writing/designing will be done in English only. (We hope in the future we could offer in a different language). Knowledge of a second language is desirable, but not essential.
● Fellows belonging to marginalized identities–trans*, intersex individuals, gender non conforming, young people of color and people with disabilities–are particularly encouraged to apply.
Send an email to email@example.com with the Subject Line: “Application for Young Feminist Media Fellowship” that includes the following:
● A cover letter explaining your passion and commitment towards storytelling, and why you think you would be an ideal fellow.
● At least 2-3 samples that demonstrates your writing, designing, artistry and/or videography
Please send your applications latest by April 22, 2018.