Deadline: 3rd May 2018, 5:00pm GMT +3
Position: Medical Doctor
Location: Moyo, Palorinya Settlement/Camp – Uganda
Reports to: Medical Coordinator
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them. .
Position Summary: The Medical Doctor oversees service delivery at the health facility, and Mobile and Rapid Response Team (RRT), ensuring quality standards are met. This includes:
· Developing and implementing a capacity building and supervision plan for staff
· Managing patients who require medical attention of a physician and managing referrals as needed
· Supporting in overall management of the health facility and Rapid Response Team, stepping in for the Medical Coordinator when needed
· Ensuring effective coordination between different departments at the facility and RRT.
· Provision of day-to-day supervision, training and coaching to RI and if appropriate MOH staff in the project activity
Responsibilities and Duties:
· Develop and implement a capacity building and supervision for staff including in-service training, formal training and supporting supervision
· Conduct daily medical rounds to oversee service delivery
· Monitor patient registers and other data collection tools
· Regularly review standard clinical guidelines and protocols
· Work with the team to analyze consumption of medications and supplies
· Strengthen stock management system for medications, nutrition commodities and medical supplies, including monitoring of tracer drugs and maintaining buffer stocks
· Ensure there are no stock outs of essential drugs and supplies
· Ensure the proper integration of all activities (nutrition, EPI, out-patient department, health education, etc)
· Compile, review and analysing weekly and monthly reports
· Contribute to donor reports and other reports in a timely manner
· Ensure health facility is well maintained and infrastructure rehabilitation is implemented
· Oversee support departments as needed
· Organise weekly technical meeting with the health and nutrition team
· Facilitate and participate in weekly Continuous Medical Education (CME) sessions
· Ensure universal precautions and infection prevention guidelines are followed in service provision.
· Monitor clinical skills of staff and provide guidance as necessary.
· Participate in weekly, monthly and quarterly planning sessions for the program activities.
· Co-ordinate referrals of patients in a timely manner
· Attend and participate in program and RI team meetings
· Develop and maintain constructive relation between RI , community and local authorities
· Providing necessary assistance to any visiting NGO staff operating in the area.
· Medical Doctor
· 1-3 years of experience in low resource settings or in an emergency context
· Experience in managing, supervising and training others
· Able to adapt to a challenging and unstable environment
· Ability to work independently with little support
· Proactive, takes initiative
· Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
· Fluent in English
· Good computer skills
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
Your application must include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letter of Interest (application cover letter)
- Photocopies of documents showing your credentials/qualifications for this position, if applicable
2. Address your application to: Country Director, Uganda
Please drop your applications in a sealed envelope, stating the position you are applying for to:
Relief International Office, Vura Madulu,
Moyo Town Council,
P.O Box 152
Itula Sub County,
Dongo Center Relief International Compound.
4. For applicants residing outside of Moyo district, you may email your application ( Application and CV only) to UgandaRecruitment@ri.org (you must indicate the position in the subject line of email)
This position is open to Uganda Nationals only