Social Impact Award supports young innovators in building social enterprises that address the most challenging issues of our time. We play, we experiment, we dream big, we work hard. We are 100% human and radically collaborative. We do so by hosting events and organizing workshops to raise awareness for social entrepreneurship, teaching the necessary skills to navigate from vague intentions to promising ventures, providing access to networks and promoting the best teams with the Social Impact Award.
Three winners will be selected; two (2) Best Upcoming social ventures and one People’s Choice Award.
- The Best Upcoming social ventures are selected by a team of jury after a jury presentation and each will win $ 1.000 USD for implementing their ideas and a fully paid expense trip to the Social Impact Award Global Summit in Kiev, Ukraine.
- The people’s choice award is selected through community voting. The venture with the most votes wins the People’s Choice Award. This category will win an all-expense paid trip to the summit in Kiev, Ukraine.
The SIA Summit 2019 is a gathering of 130+ young social innovators from 20+ countries in Europe, Africa and Asia taking place in the Ukrainian capital Kiev from November 26th to 30th. The event is a gathering of all impact ventures that won the Social Impact Award in 2019: highly innovative social startups challenging the status quo in areas such as migration, health, education or climate change. Beyond that, the SIA Summit also serves as the ultimate meeting point of leading international and national organizations working at the frontier of social entrepreneurship and youth empowerment to tackle the most pressing challenge of our times.
Formal Criteria for Social Impact Award in Uganda
The following formal criteria must be met by the projects (if not, the project cannot become a finalist):
- All team members must be born between 1989 and 2004 (following EU’s definition of youth: from 14 to 30)
- The venture founder(s) must have started to work on their idea more intensively not earlier than 1st of January 2018. Application is open for ideas not yet implemented as well as projects in the early stage of implementation.
- No or little previous financial and professional support – submitted venture ideas must not have received significant formal start-up support above 2.000 USD before the submission date
- No previous participation in a comparable incubation program.
Please note that each application can be submitted by a team or an individual.
The evaluation must be based on the following three criteria: impact potential, the degree of innovation, and feasibility & implementation capacity. Please note that venture ideas submitted in previous years, except previous winning ventures, can be resubmitted in 2019 as long as they fulfill all other requirements. More information about selection criteria can be found in the submission guidelines.