Deadline 28 December 2018
The Study of the United States Institutes for Student Leaders on Women’s Leadership 2019
U.S. Mission Uganda is now accepting applications for the Study of the United States Institutes (SUSI) for Student Leaders on Women’s Leadership 2019. The five-week program takes place during the June to August time-frame.
Study of the United States Institutes for Student Leaders on Women’s Leadership
Study of the United States Institutes for Student Leaders is an intensive short-term academic program whose purpose is to provide groups of undergraduate student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. The program will examine the history and participation of women in public life in the United States and focus on two major areas: developing participants’ leadership skills in areas such as critical thinking, communication, decision-making, and managerial abilities; and, placing these abilities in the context of the history and participation of women in U.S. politics, economics, culture, and society. The program will also examine the historical domestic progress towards women’s equality in the United States, the current domestic successes and challenges to women in a variety of fields, and current challenges in global women’s issues.
The five-week program consists of a balanced series of seminar discussions, readings, group presentations, and lectures. The coursework and classroom activities will be complemented by educational travel, site visits, leadership activities, and volunteer opportunities within the local community. Each of the four institutes will include a four-week academic residency component and a one week integrated study tour. As part of the academic residency, participants will have the opportunity to engage in educational and cultural activities outside of the classroom. During the Women’s Leadership Conference, more than 80 SUSI participants from different parts of the world will have opportunities to network with one another and to meet with inspiring U.S. women leaders.
- Be female
- Be between 18 and 25 years of age;
- Be interested in the topic of women’s leadership
- Have at least one semester left of their undergraduate studies, and therefore be committed to returning to their home universities following completion of the program;
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university and community activities;
- Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States;
- Have a sustained high level of academic achievement, as indicated by grades, awards, and teacher recommendations;
- Demonstrate commitment to community and extracurricular university activities;
- Have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of their home country;
- Be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful, and inquisitive;
- Be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel; and,
- Be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to make adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email their bio page, one-page statement, academic transcripts, and recommendation letter (in not more than four attachments) to email@example.com. Email subject line should read – 2019 SUSI for Student Leaders. Applicant’s statements should describe their involvement in leadership, community involvement, what they hope to gain and take back from this program.
Deadline: December 28, 2018