Deadline: July 31, 2018
The Bitch Media Fellowship Program 2019 is open for applications. Bitch Media, an independent, nonprofit feminist media organization now in its 22nd year, is offering the Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers, a series of three-month intensive writing fellowships whose goal is to develop, support, and amplify emerging, diverse voices in feminist, activist, and pop-culture media.
Bitch Media’s mission is to provide and encourage an engaged, thoughtful response to mainstream media and pop culture. They strive to be a fresh, revitalizing voice in contemporary feminism, one that welcomes complex arguments and refuses to ignore the contradictory and often uncomfortable realities of life in an unequivocally gendered world. They publish the award-winning quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture; they also feature daily online articles, interviews, opinions, and weekly podcasts at bitchmedia.org; and send speakers and workshop leaders to colleges and universities around the world through our Bitch on Campus program.
They are pleased to kick off the fourth year of the fellowship program. They seek fellows who are passionate, engaged, and interested in developing their unique voices for these four fellowships, each of which pay a stipend of $2,000 for the three-month period.
Fellows will work with Bitch Media during one of the following four quarters:
- January 1 – March 30
- April 1 – June 30
- July 1 – September 30
- October 1 – December 31
Fellows will work in one of four subject areas during the fellowship period:
- Sexual politics
- Pop-culture criticism
- Global feminism
During the 3-month fellowships, fellows will:
- Produce a minimum of six online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, even infographic, and are least 600 words in length
- Produce at least one longform article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture.
- Participate in biweekly meetings (by phone or Skype if fellows cannot meet in person) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff.
- Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and blog posts.
- Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within feminist-media communities.
- Receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship.
- This fellowship was created in order to cultivate and amplify new voices.
- There is no set age limit.
- You can apply if:
- You are a writer who has minimal publication experience
- You are passionate about one of the above subject areas but do not have a history of writing or blogging about them
- You are a writer still figuring out the topics you’re most dedicated
- Fellows may be based globally, and U.S. citizenship or residence is not required to be a fellow.
- Writers who have contributed to Bitch before will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
This is not a full-time position, but an independent fellowship designed for writers who want to develop confident, well-rounded voices and are particularly interested in feminist criticism and mission-driven journalism.
The 2019 Fellows will be announced in November 2018.
For more information, visit Bitch Media Fellowships.