Deadline: June 30, 2018
The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) Youth Forum 2018 is now open for applications. The 2018 Youth Forum will take place at the Headquarters of UNCTAD, at the Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland as part of the UNCTAD 2018 World Investment Forum from 22 to 26 October 2018. Don’t miss the opportunity to strengthen youth empowerment, exchange views and interact with global leaders.
The 2018 theme is Youth Entrepreneurship: A Force Towards Inclusive and Sustainable Growth. The UNCTAD Youth Forum 2018 offers the opportunity for youth to
- exchange views and experiences and strengthen a network of future leaders from different places in the world ;
- have an interactive dialogue with global players involved in the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals where youth can raise awareness on issues they consider of major concern and that they want to see included in the international agenda ;
- learn more about UNCTAD’s work and projects with youth and have a discussion on how to get youth further involved.
Every two years, UNCTAD organizes a Youth Forum. The first ever UNCTAD Youth Forum took place during the fourteenth Ministerial Conference (UNCTAD 14) in Nairobi, Kenya in July 2016 where 250 youth from over 70 countries participated. During the closing session of the Ministerial Conference, youth presented a Youth Declaration on more and better jobs, education and state accountability to the member States of UNCTAD, which is integral part of UNCTAD 14 outcome documents.
The 2018 UNCTAD Youth Forum will feature primarily topics that relate to youth empowerment across entrepreneurship, with a focus on investing in digital youth, youth at the negotiation table, what is on the mind of millennials and how youth can think globally and act locally.
The Forum will gather around 200 youth from all around the world, aged between 18 and 30, and passionate about trade and development issues, to learn and exchange local and global-focused experiences, ideas and best practices and bring the youth perspective in the general debate throughout the week joining workshops, TED-style plenary sessions, breakout sessions and networking events. UNCTAD Youth Forum participants will be able to attend public sessions of the World Investment Forum. Further information on social activities and logistics will be available at a later stage.
Open to students or young professionals around the world.
Participants in the Forum will be pre-selected based on the following criteria:
- Be between the age of 18 and 30
- Able to speak in and understand English
- Have a valid passport (for applicants outside of Switzerland)
- Be interested in trade and development issues
- Have experience (from their studies or work) in the areas of UNCTAD’s work/focus. Evidence of projects related to trade and development (academic and professional) will be considered as experience in the field. Participants will then be invited to describe their experience in the
250 seats are available. Participation is subject to a competitive application and selection process.
All enquiries regarding the UNCTAD Youth Forum can be sent to: [email protected].
For more information, visit UNCTAD Youth Forum.